Thursday, March 11, 2021

Work So Far- Up On The Wall- Salon Style

 






    Per John’s suggestion to me I finally pinned up my pieces on the wall- in the only free space in my apartment with a white wall and good lighting. Though I could not essentially space the pieces out as one would do in a gallery setting I was able to put them up in a way more reminiscent of the classic Salon style of curation rather than anything else. Though this was not ideal I still gleaned a lot from being able to see the pieces up in a neutral space and not, for once, crushed together in my lap as I worked on them or flung over a cushion while I sat parallel trying to figure out what to do next. I believe John has a good point in saying that I need to find a way to make the work function better together. I thought that the shared medium would do that but the strictly typographic work does not exactly go with the line drawing work. I think that I could make a piece that would bring the two together, if I have enough time. If not I believe that I could find a way to display these that would make them balance and harmonize with each other. Every piece other than the “walking medicine” banner are in a finished state, although I am contemplating adding text to the ovular red and white piece. In hindsight I wish that I could add borders/bindings to all of the pieces going in the show so that they are consistent but I know that I do not have enough time to do so, so I will aim for a 50/50 split of those that are bordered vs. those that are not. For now this is what I have so far. I plan on hanging these up in a larger space so that I can adequately arrange them in the way I would have them and want them to be seen in the seminar show. 

2 comments:

  1. group them. fewer pieces perhaps (depending on how much wall space you have in gallery).

    ▤ ▤▤ ▤ ▤ ▤ ▤▤▤ ▤ ▤▤ ▤ ▤▤ ▤

    frames wouldn't help, and may detract from the different textural etc qualities beween them. (the 50/50 split framed/not framed is not a good idea.)

    by grouping, you make their differences matter.



    if need more space on seminar room wall, by all means remove the large Beverly map!

    ReplyDelete
  2. ▤▢▢▢▤▤▢▢▤▢▢▤▢▢▢▢▤▤▤▤▢▢▤▤▢▢▢▢▤▤▢▢▤▢▢▢▤▤▢▢▢▤

    ▢ = empty space

    ReplyDelete